[xiph-rtp] Theora over RTP

Luca Barbato lu_zero at gentoo.org
Wed May 31 02:25:22 PDT 2006

Rhys Hawkins wrote:
> So it appears from the example code that you can just chop it
> arbitrarily. Does this mean if you loose some of the packets for a
> particular frame that it is impossible to reconstruct the whole frame?

In this trivial case, yes.

> If so, is there a better way to break apart the ogg packet so that each
> resulting fragmented RTP packet is decodable in isolation (H261 does
> this to some degree) or is this unecessary?

You may try to be smart but the rfc covers just basic usage, you should
discart the packets once you notice they are wrong, but you may do other
things (like using selective retransmission) depending on your
application and on how smart your endpoint are. The behaviour shown
should be considered as the expected fallback when anything else fails.

> If this sort of stuff has already been discussed just point me to
> the mailing list archive.

It wasn't discussed in such way, I'm currently trying to implement
something smarter for my thesis project and obviously lots of itchy
detail are jumping in circles (mostly due the fact I need to make the
whole architecture quite much more flexible and make configuration data
move from layers quite far apart (sdp -> rtsp -> rtp)) but in the end
that is quite good since once this work is done supporting any codec
would be a less daunting task.

Please tell me if there are some oscure parts in the reference
implementation, I wrote that code with the aim of having it easy to
understand, I hope I haven't failed much.

lu

--

Luca Barbato

Gentoo/linux Gentoo/PPC