[xiph-rtp] Theora over RTP

Rhys Hawkins Rhys.Hawkins at anu.edu.au
Tue May 30 22:01:28 PDT 2006

Hi,

I've been looking at the draft spec:
http://svn.xiph.org/trunk/theora/doc/draft-barbato-avt-rtp-theora-00.txt
And libtheora 1.0_alpha3, and have a query regarding implementing the
encoding side of things. For each frame, I believe I do something
like:

    theora_encode_YUVin(&state, &yuv);
    result = theora_encode_packetout(&state, 0, &packet);

    wrap_packet_in_rtp(packet);

However, the problem I have is how the last bit is done. As far as I can
gather, there must be a way to split the ogg_packet above into the
theora data chunks required in section 2.3/2.4 of the spec. I may be
getting it wrong, but I've come to this conclusion because;
 - that makes more sense to me in terms of resilience to packet loss,
 - the packet received from theora_encode_packetout is often larger than
64k and the length field for the theora data chunks is only 16bits.

Could someone please tell me the correct way to break apart the
ogg_packet if that is what is necessary? Or correct where I've gone
wrong above.

Cheers,
    Rhys