[xiph-rtp] Interesting post on AVT list

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Wed Sep 7 18:35:33 PDT 2005

On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 04:35:15PM -0700, Aaron Colwell wrote:

> This actually brings up another "issue". In the case you described above
> you technically only need to update the ident header and could use the same
> codebook.

That's what's nice about the way the codec design treats the three
headers as a unit, as in Ogg chaining. Splitting them up to allow
independent switching, or because one or two are much smaller than
the others, has a design cost.

> I agree. I'd be interested in seeing hard stats on what changes have been made
> to the Vorbis codebooks since it was initially release and how much gain
> has been realized.

The general figure quoted is a factor of 2 in bitrate at the same
quality.

 -r