[xiph-rtp] Lots of proposals

David Barrett dbarrett at quinthar.com
Fri Sep 2 10:01:13 PDT 2005

Ok, I think we've covered all the bases we're going to cover.  I'm going
to attempt a summary of my position -- Tor, will you please do the same?
(ie, please don't respond point-by-point to my position, just summarize
yours)

1) For the P2P architecture I am currently developing with Speex and
Theora, neither HTTP nor inline unacknowledged codebook delivery are
ideal options.  Thus I propose a new option, inline with codebook ACK
(which, incidentally, works well with chaining to support seamless
adaptive encoding).

2) I intend to use Vorbis in the same architecture, and would like to
use the same solution (inline with codebook ACK).

3) I believe my use case (the common P2P case) is fundamentally
different than today's common web radio case and tomorrow's
theoretically-common multicast case.  Indeed, I supect there are more
cases, some of which might warrant yet more codebook delivery options.

4) Given all these delivery options, I don't want to build them all, and
I expect others won't want to either.  Thus I propose we make *all*
codebook delivery options into optional extensions, with some
suggestions about which options are recommended for which type of
application (P2P, client/server, multicast, TCP, etc.).

5) As a compromise, I'd be open to picking one option as a "baseline"
that all decoders support.  If we do this, I recommend picking the
easiest one (unacknowledged inline codeboks) so as to minimize time
spent developing unused features.

6) Finally, I believe the IETF would accept the above proposals just
fine.

Anywhere, that's where I stand.  And I'll note that for me, this is not
some abstract thought experiment.  My recommendations are based on
solving today's problems using today's internet, intended for
integration with an architecture and application that exists today.

-david