[xiph-rtp] vorbis-rtp update (almost candidate)

David Barrett dbarrett at quinthar.com
Fri Oct 7 23:19:17 PDT 2005

Looks really good.  My only two questions/concerns:

- While I don't use the comment header, it seems like a key feature to
Vorbis overall, and I'm not sure why we're dropping it entirely.  The
comment packet seems useful both in obvious ways (updating what's
displayed to users mid-stream) and non-obvious ways
(application-specific metadata delivered inline via RTP).  I entirely
see why it shouldn't be included with the packed setup/codebook headers,
but I don't see why it should be suppressed altogether.

- I don't follow this segment:

>    o  The optional parameter "configuration-uri", when present, MUST be
>       included in the SDP "a=fmpt" attribute.
>
>    If the stream comprises chained Vorbis files the configuration and
>    codebook headers for each file SHOULD be packaged together and passed
>    to the client using the configuration attribute if all the files to
>    be played are known in advance. {FIXME: define the configuration
>    package}
>
>    The Vorbis configuration specified in the configuration-uri attribute
>    MUST pointto a location where all of the Configuration Packets needed
>    for the life of the session reside.

1) By "the configuration and codebook headers" do you actually mean "the
setup and codebook headers"?

2) By "using the configuration attribute" are you referring to the
"configuration-uri" attribute, or some other "configuration" attribute?
  Do you mean a base16-encoded (for example) insertion of the packed
setup/codebook headers, or a link to where these can be downloaded?

3) Typo in the third paragraph: "pointto".  Here it says I can download
using a URI.  So does this mean there are actually three delivery
vectors: inline, embeddded in the SDP, and via a URI?

Other than these minor confusions, I think it looks great.

-david