[xiph-rtp] header ident decision

Aaron Colwell acolwell at real.com
Mon May 2 12:41:12 PDT 2005

On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 12:08:29PM -0700, Ralph Giles wrote:
> On Sun, May 01, 2005 at 09:52:56AM -0700, Ralph Giles wrote:
>
> The server MAY choose to send multiple comment packets with the same
> ident field value. Such packets, when received, indicate to the client
> that the new set of metadata applies to the audio data that follows. In
> this way song title changes and so on can be indicated without the
> overhead of a chain boundary. and sending a completely new set of
> headers. Applications spooling an RTP stream to an Ogg stream or file
> should insert a chain boundary or begin a new file when these
> metadata updates occur, even though the decoder setup has not changed.

I just want to add a little clarification here. A chain boundry only needs
to be created if the comment packet doesn't exactly match the metadata received
in a previous comment packet for that chainID. This allows periodic
transmission of the comment packet without a spooler creating chains for every
comment packet that comes in. (Think archiving a multicast radio feed)

Aaron