[xiph-rtp] Theora "setup idents" and codebook URLs in SDP

David Barrett dbarrett at quinthar.com
Fri Jun 3 11:34:25 PDT 2005

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 9:28 am, Aaron Colwell wrote:
> There are several constraints that need to be taken into account here.
>
> 1. SDP needs to be less than 1k in some scenarios like SAP. In other
>    environments it can be larger, but it would be nice to have a
> solution that
>    works in both cases.
>
> 2. If the codebook/ident info isn't known at SDP generation time there
> needs
>    to be a mechanism for getting this info.
>
> 3. If all codebook/ident info is known at SDP generation time you
> should
>    provide enough information so that all this info can be retrieved
> before
>    playback starts.

All good points, thanks for laying them out clearly.

> Constraint 1 implies compact representation of the information.
> Mandating CRCs
> or MD5 in the URLs definitely does not achieve this. It can work for
> low
> chain counts, but it can quickly cause the SDP to get too large.
> Allowing
> looser URL requirements allow you to make URLs more compact.

You're right, I hadn't considered that.

> Constrain 2 implies to me the need for some sort of baseURL that
> the "setup ident" can be appended to so that it can retrieve the
> ident/codebook
> URLs.

Yes, that'd work.  (Though implies a session can only use codebooks on a
single server.)

> Constraint 3 could be solved by listing all the "setup idents" in the
> SDP and
> then using the constraint 2 solution. You could also just provide a
> single
> URL that contains a list of (setup ident, ident MD5, ident URL,
> codebook MDS5,
> codebook URL) structures. This would reduce the amount of HTTP traffic
> needed.
> Putting the URLs in the SDP directly causes problems with constraint 1.

This's also work.  And assuming this "codebook list URL" were itself
immutably tied to the "codebook list", then I could cache the whole set
of codebooks (and the mapping to setup idents) with one blow.

For my application I'd probably just publish a single "codebook list"
(with every conceivable codebook I might ever use) that all clients
would pick from as needed.  Thus once you talked to any of my clients,
you'd already have the codeboks cached to talk to any other of my
clients.  And if I need to add to it, simply publish a new list with a
new version of the app, while leaving the old in place for old
versions.

My only concern again is ensuring that the list of codebooks pointed to
by a URL never changes, else caching is difficult.

> A while ago I posted sample SDP solutions to the list. I don't know if
> they
> have been accepted or integrated into the draft document yet.

Great, I'll dig through the archives and try to find them.  I didn't
mean to imply my proposal was the only possible solution.

>>  >Yup.  But how do we prevent clashes with the packet ident?
>>
>>  In this proposal, there is no global uniqueness requirement for the
>>  "setup ident" field in each packet.  Rather, there is a much easier
>>  "session uniqueness" requirement.
>
> setup ident has always only needed to be unique within the session. I
> don't
> see how this changes anything.

I didn't mean to imply it does.  I was just restating it to address
Phil's concern.

Ideally we could have an SDP grammar sufficiently flexible to handle
them both, so I can either specify a list of ident/codebook URLs
directly in the SDP (if it fits, and possibly using a baseurl), or give
a link to a list of ident/codebook URLs on the server.  Maybe even allow
linking to multiple lists (and specify more on the fly), with the
resulting set being a union of everything.

Anyway, thanks for reviewing the options with me.  I'm going to start
with simple URLs direct in the SDP, and I'll drop the CRC with the blind
assumption that they are safe to cache.  I'll assume a more robust
technique is in the works, possibly with baseurls, possibly with
serverside codebook lists, and possibly in a way that combines both.

-david