SV: [xiph-rtp] A few other comments

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Thu Jan 6 15:40:47 PST 2005

On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 12:21:19AM +0100, Tor-Einar Jarnbjo wrote:

> Ok, I sort of agree on this, but wouldn't it at least be wise to define the
> Vorbis metadata header as optional and not mandatory. If a particular setup
> decides to use any other metadata format, it would allow a cleaner design if
> the Vorbis metadata is completely left out instead of forcing the server to
> send an empty Vorbis metadata header, just to satisfy the RFC. In many
> cases, even the limited metadata fields in the SDP may be enough for a
> particular purpose.

Well, it won't be empty; the metadata packet always has a vendor string
identifying the encoder. Maybe that's not important.

Part of the idea here I think it so avoid contradicting the vorbis spec
more than necessary. If you pass all the headers as expected and they're
recieved properly, in a brain-dead unicast case you can just feed them
to libvorbis with no extra fuss. Not that (fixable) programming
inconvenience is an argument, but regularity of expectations is.

 -r