[xiph-rtp] Updated Vorbis and new Theora I-D's

Tor-Einar Jarnbjo Tor-Einar at Jarnbjo.de
Thu Feb 3 03:22:21 PST 2005

Tirsdag, 01 februar 2005, skrev Phil Kerr <phil at plus24.com>:

>If everything is ok I'll submit them to the IETF either at the end of
>this week or early next week.

As usual, I have a few comments :)

* I already pointed out, that it is not defined if the Vorbis packets
(both audio and header) should include the initial packet type byte.
The data is already contained in the VDT field in the payload header,
so although this is part of the actual packet data, it must not
necessarily be repeated.

I also suggest that the VDT description in section 2.2 is changed to:

      0 = Vorbis Audio payload
      1 = Vorbis Setup payload
      2 = Vorbis Codebook payload
      3 = Vorbis Metadata payload

* Section 4, paragraph 2: The meta data header is not needed to decode
the Vorbis stream.

* Section 4.1.2: The codebook length field is in the text described
as 16 bits, but in figure 10, it is 32 bits.

* Section 4.1.2.1: I see no reason why a library "SHOULD" use the
included C code, as this would impose a recommendation to use a specific
programming language. I suggest to replace the second paragraph with:

The following C code function may be used by implementations. If
not, the code responsible for generating the CRC32 value MUST be
functionally identical.

It may also be relevant, that the datatype sizes are implementation
dependent and that the quoted C function may produce wrong results
on systems where ints are not 32 bits or chars not 8 bit.

* Section 4.1.3: It should be specified if the comment length fields
refer to number of bytes or number of characters.

* Section 5.1: It should be specified which URL schemes MUST be supported
by any client. HTTP should be sufficient.

* Section 3.2 and 6: In 3.2 it's stated that "feedback reports on
lost and dropped packets MUST be sent back via RTCP". In section
6, this requirement is reduced to that "Vorbis clients SHOULD send
regular receiver reports detailing congestion." At least in a multicast
scenario, it's mostly pointless for the client to report packet loss
to the server, as there is no way to fix the situation.

Tor