[xiph-rtp] header caching and chaining

Geoff Shang geoff at hitsandpieces.net
Thu Feb 3 03:31:26 PST 2005

Hi,

I am not an expert on protocols, only a consumer with interest in this
field.

Those of us using vorbis streams so far rely on the ability to chain
streams for providing metadata updates.  So streaming title and artist
information, etc.  Now I don't think we should lose this ability unless
there's a good reason for losing it.  Whether this is the best mechanism
for conveying this info is another question, and if it can be carried
without support for chained bitstreams then I guess that's fine.

I do also like the idea of being able to change audio format, as it's a big
plus over MP3, but I realise I'm a voice of 1 and may get shouted down on
this one.  Icecast has this nice ability to switch to and from backup
feeds, and I'd be concerned if this was not available in a future RTP mode.

I also presume that scaling down to a lower bitrate version of a stream due
to bandwidth limitations might also be affected if chaining is not
supported.

Just my thoughts,
Geoff.

--
Geoff Shang <geoff at hitsandpieces.net>
Phone: +61-418-96-5590
MSN: geoff at acbradio.org

Make sure your E-mail can be read by everyone!
http://www.betips.net/etc/evilmail.html