[xiph-rtp] draft issues

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Sat Dec 17 14:22:52 PST 2005

A couple of minor points that need deciding:

What should a receiver do if the packet type field is set to (3)
Reserved? I vote for "MUST ignore the packet."

We have Packet type settings for packed headers (1) and the comment
header (2) but don't say anything about sending the setup or ident
headers. Is that legal? If not, what should the receiver do if it
receives them? Presumedly they could go under "raw data packet" (0).

Likewise with the optional additional headers allowed by the theora
spec.

For theora, the SDP width and height parameters define the encoded frame
size, not the viewable frame size. We should probably clarify that this
describes the decoder requirements, but that the ident header may
specify a smaller, non-multiple of 16 window for actual display.

For theora, the draft uses the frame index as the timestamp clock; the
AVT chairs recommended we follow common practice and use the 90 kHz
presentation time clock. Mike and Derf agreed here, so Luca, please make
this change.

The Configuration SDP parameter is defined as a base16-encoded version
of the packed headers. This is fine for some applications, but I remain
worried about the size issue. How about allowing this to be just the
setup header as well, as Aaron suggested. One can tell just from the
length which it is.

 -r