[xiph-rtp] Lots of proposals

Aaron Colwell acolwell at real.com
Tue Aug 30 08:58:29 PDT 2005

On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 09:36:46AM -0700, Ralph Giles wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 07:51:41AM -0700, Aaron Colwell wrote:
>
> > I suppose one other possibility could be to put the codebooks in their own RTP
> > session. A client could then listen to that session for as long as it took to
> > receive the codebooks and then close down that session. I'm not really a huge
> > fan of this particular idea since it has a much higher overhead then a simple
> > HTTP transfer.
>
> Weren't we planning on describing this as an option for multicast?
> Unicast solutions would be welcome to use it to, although I agree
> HTTP makes more since for those cases.

Yes. In a multicast scenario it would be a good idea to have the codebooks
transmitted in their own session. That session should probably flagged in some
way to indicate that it only contains codebooks. I suppose people could also
do this in a unicast case, but HTTP seems like a better option.

Aaron