[xiph-rtp] Lots of proposals

Tor-Einar Jarnbjo Tor-Einar at Jarnbjo.de
Mon Aug 29 14:36:07 PDT 2005

Luca Barbato wrote:

> Consider that each raw packet is sent every 20ms, once you reach 20Nms
> you send the 3 start packet again and the raw one.
>
> The way to discover if you have or not have the right settings and you
> have to skip could be the usual hash or a codebook id mapping in sdp (in
> that case the tag field can be shorter and be an incremental number)
>
> That solution supports part of the chaining features and could be used
> on every scenario w/out issues.

You make this sound much easier than it really is ...

The transmitter would have to make assumptions on the client's available
bandwidth and adjust the transmission speed accordingly. The only
assumption it can make is to expect the client to have enough bandwidth
to receive the actual audio stream an so throttle the header
transmission accordingly. For a 100kbps stream, it will take roughly 5
secs to transmit the header this way, add some packet loss and
prebuffering of audio data and you'll soon end up with an inacceptable
delay before the client is able to start playing. I also don't see how
you would support this using multicast.

Tor