[xiph-rtp] Chaining

David Barrett dbarrett at quinthar.com
Mon Aug 29 12:50:06 PDT 2005

Ralph Giles wrote:
> In light of this, I'm in favor of reversal. If you still think chaining
> support should be in the spec, time to argue for it again. Please
> address the use cases Aaron nicely outlined.

Can you give a 20-second review of what all this means to those of us
(ie, me) who haven't followed the issue closely?  Specifically:

1) What is the difference between "chaining" and "inline codebook
transmission"?  It sounds like you're de-supporting the former while
retaining the latter.

2) What's the latest on the "codebook ID" member of the Theora RTP
header?  It sounds like you're suggesting the whole RTP header is just a
single byte -- wasn't there a field that associated each packet with a
specific codebook (so the SDP could define a codebook library using HTTP
downloads, and the session could switch back and forth on a per-packet
basis)?

3) You said "A given RTP session has only one corresponding info and
setup header pair": what's a "setup header"?  I thought there were
"info", "command", and "tables" headers, which together comprise the
"codebook".  Is this changing, or am I just misunderstanding something?
  If there's only one per session, does this mean codebook changing has
been de-supported as well?

I'm sorry if I'm out of the loop; been focused on other things and got
behind.  Any clarification you can offer will be appreciated.

-david