[xiph-rtp] Theora RTP payload format

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Mon Apr 18 14:57:00 PDT 2005

On Mon, Apr 18, 2005 at 05:26:31PM -0400, Steve Kann wrote:

> That sounds interesting.. I do plan to experiment with some of the
> experimental work out there; The theora-mmx branch looks interesting,
> because presently performance is really just barely adequate for
> real-time conferencing. Of the other open-source (but not patent-free)
> encoders out there, it seems that ffmpeg (for any of it's mpeg/h263
> variants) and x264 really blow theora away at the moment.

Yeah, you really need the -mmx branch for conferencing. There are some
decoder asm patches available as well, and I've been working on a
parallel version recent for the Elphel people.

The ffmpeg and vxid implementations have seen a lot more optimization
work than theora has. We're getting there, but working on encumbered
codecs seems to be sexier...

 -r