[xiph-rtp] Re: Theora RTP header design

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Sun Apr 10 16:16:26 PDT 2005

On Sun, Apr 10, 2005 at 01:19:32PM -0600, Andrey Filippov wrote:

> In this case (from Elphel point of view) I would vote for 32 bit alignment:
> - anyway we use big frames were these 2 bytes - not a big deal;
> - in the hardware designs I try to leave some room for the future
> extensions that did not come to mind when developing first
> implementation - these 2 bytes could later turn out to be useful;
> - yes it is easier to handle 32-bit aligned data. In my case now it is
> not that critical (as long as the length stays the same), but it can
> simplify things for other implementations.

Ok, thanks for the review. Sounds like alignment is worthwhile.

RTP packets are limited to the network MTU (usually 1500 bytes outside a
gig-e segment) so the overhead isn't any lower with large theora
packets, they just get fragmented.

FWIW, I pinged Jack Moffitt, and he agreed as well. So Phil, could you
update the drafts to use my 16 bit ident + 8 bit reserved proposal?

 -r