[xiph-rtp] Difficulties with several RTP streams for a Vorbisstream.

Silvia.Pfeiffer at csiro.au Silvia.Pfeiffer at csiro.au
Sun Oct 31 15:08:56 PST 2004

The reason the IETF RTP working group are pushing for sending setup information (such as codebooks for codecs) via http and out-of-band of rtp is that rtp packets have not guarantee of arriving and are not being re-sent if lost. Therefore, information as fundamental as the setup needs to be transported reliably out-of-band. While some payload formats have ignored this general push, it is part of the core design of RTP.

Another thing I meant to mention in this discussion: we seem to be mixing up the design of existing media frameworks (such as DirectShow and JMF), which have been designed to receive interleaved media streams with everything inband (such as via http or from a local, potentially downloaded file) with the transport mechanisms of the real-time RTP protocol, which has originally been designed for live video conference type situations.
RTP is now being used also for streaming interleaved media streams, which creates much conflict in the IETF working group, as it undermines many of the basic principles of design of the RTP/RTSP/RTCP/SDP protocol family. One of these things is the reliable transport of setup information out-of-band of RTP, and one RTP connection transporting only one stream of media (i.e. audio and video being transported over 2 distinct RTP connections). Just be aware that these principles may not have been taken into account by existing media framework implementations, which may be able to decode RTP sessions, but only those that transport everything in-band.

Cheers,
Silvia.