[xiph-rtp] new RTP development list

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Wed Oct 20 21:08:38 PDT 2004

On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 11:03:19AM +1000, Michael Smith wrote:

> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-variable-rate-audio-00.txt
>
> That draft is for audio, but as you say, this could also be useful for Theora;
> perhaps we should consider extending this draft for video.

Just to contradict myself, I do feel like framerate changes are a good case
for chaining support. Re-encoding video is much more expensive, and framerate
interpolation doesn't work very well.

(In practice 30 fps NTSC uses 3:2 pulldown to show 24 fps film segments e.g.
 on DVD-Video which requires interlacing or a 60p display. 25 fps PAL
 resamples the audio instead and just runs 24 fps segments 4% fast. Likewise
 when showing PAL on NTSC. So framerate resampling is generally avoided.)

 -r