[xiph-rtp] Fragmenting in RTP versus letting UDP fragment

Tor-Einar Jarnbjo Tor-Einar at Jarnbjo.de
Wed Nov 3 05:23:05 PST 2004

Onsdag, 3 november 2004, skrev Ramón García <ramon.garcia.f at gmail.com>:

>Even if retransmission has an important use case for streaming media,
>there isn't the necessary number of clients and servers supporting it
>to make it viable.

Splitting the Vorbis packets at application level makes at least
then sence, if an application decides to make use of FEC to make
the transport more reliable. Even if a fragment of a Vorbis packet
is missing, it could be possible to reconstruct the page using the
FEC data and the probability that this will succeed is higher, if
just a part of the packet is missing.

As I stated earlier, some sort of packet splitting must be defined
for Vorbis anyway, as a Vorbis packet may be larger than 64kB and
the current Vorbis/RTP draft simply states that packets SHOULD be
kept below the network path MTU size. This is not a strict restriction,
an implementation may choose to not care about the MTU size, so
why have a long discussion about this subject?

Tor