[xiph-rtp] Fragmenting in RTP versus letting UDP fragment

Ramón García ramon.garcia.f at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 02:12:33 PST 2004

It does not payoff to do fragmentation by hand insteald of letting UDP
do it. The only case where it would be useful, reliable RTP does not
have enough adoption.

The point of standards is interoperability. Reliable RTP is
essentially non standarized, and to the little extent it is (RFC 3611)
it is not even minimally deployed (correct me otherwise). And perhaps
it is not usable: I am not sure if RFC 3611 is enough for
retransmission. Would a retransmitting server interoperate with a
client that obeys the RFC but does not otherwise expect
retransmission? Apple has a propietary way of retransmission, but that
would interoperate with QuickTime clients and servers only. The
posible future standard for reliable RTP (Internet draft
ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rtp-retransmission-10.txt
) is encumbered by patents by Matsushita.

Even if retransmission has an important use case for streaming media,
there isn't the necessary number of clients and servers supporting it
to make it viable.