[Vorbis] ogg123 playing 24bit flac

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Wed Apr 20 06:24:03 UTC 2016

Hi!

Recently I made some recordings (44.1kH/24bit WAV), and after post-processing (normalization, noide reduction) I saved them as flac (still 44.1kHz/24bit).
I noticed that ogg123 can decode these, but it will output 24 bit only. Specifically there's no option to transform the output to 16bit.
When trying to pipe the 24bit WAV output of ogg123 into aplay, aplay refused to accept the 24 bit stream. 8-(

Wouldn't an option to reduce the number of bits in the output be useful?

(For some obsucre reason ogg123 does not produce audible output on openSUSE 13.2 with GNOME (I tried different output options), while aplay does)

Regards,
Ulrich