[Vorbis] MP3/Vorbis/Opus: What I think I hear

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Wed Apr 29 23:06:21 PDT 2015

Hi!

Sorry, I know the rules for comparing objective subjective listening impressions, but I'd like to know whether from the algorithmic or implementer's point of view the following personal impressions can be confirmed:

Comparing MP3 with Vorbis at rather high bitrates, I had the impression the Vorbis sounded more crispy, while MP3 sounded somewhat softened.  I preferred Vorbis for that reason.
When comparing Opus to Vorbis, I got the impression that Opus has a slight tendency towards MP3, but noe I feel Vorbis' crispyness is maybe a little too much, and I think I'll prefer Opus. Unfortunately my search for a good free player for Android was not very successful (the shipped players all can't play Opus, and I think you can't just install codes, or can you?)

Regards,
Ulrich