[Vorbis] Translations for man pages

Mario Blättermann mario.blaettermann at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 09:51:08 PDT 2014

Hi,

as already discussed, we could provide translated man pages using po4a.
Please find two scripts attached. Both are intended to be run in the top
level directory.

The script create-man-pot.sh generates a pot template for all the
existing man pages and writes the result to template-man.pot. This is
the file which has to be re-generated from time to time and has to be
sent to the TranslationProject coordinators once the appropriate module
has been created there.

The script translate-man.sh generates the translated man pages from the
*.po files. The (currently commented out) rsync command in the upper
area fetches the latest *.po files from translationproject.org and puts
them in the directory "man-po" which needs to be created first. Then the
language based directories will be created and filled with the
translated man pages.

In general, it would be a good idea to run the scripts within "make
dist". That way the distribution packagers don't have to bother with
po4a. In some odd cases it is important that the po4a version used for
creating the template is the same as for creating the translated files.

Please give them a try and let me know what you mean. As I already
wrote, I don't have extended skills in scripting, so the scripts still
could be tweaked a bit, I'm sure. In any case case it would be nice to
see man pages translations in a future release of vorbis-tools. For
testing purposes, I've also attached the current German *.po file.

Best Regards,
Mario