[Vorbis] Fwd: Ogg and Android (Vorbis and more exotic)

epicanis+xiph at bigroom.org epicanis+xiph at bigroom.org
Thu Jan 23 16:57:13 PST 2014

I've been running off of the VLC Nightlies for Android with very few problems. You need to enable side-loading of course ("allow installation from unknown sources") and manually do the install, but it's quite easy.

http://nightlies.videolan.org/

I've switched to .opus (opus in ogg) for just about all of my audio since I started using this as my media player. The current nightlies seem to be working nicely, including reasonably good metadata support.

(I haven't tried the Rockbox android application so I don't know what kind of shape it's in, but the current rockbox firmware handles opus, flac, and ogg[vorbis] just fine in my experience - if the codebase is heavily conserved between the firmware and the android app it should work pretty well too.)