No subject

Thu Apr 11 16:32:37 PDT 2013

switch between speech and music encoding rather quickly.
I wanted to try that for a CD track that has a vocal (talk) introduction =
followed by music (just two instruments).
Using foobar2000 with some custom setup for Opus, I tried VBR encoding =
with a 256kbps setting (opus-tools-0.1.9-win32). My expectation was that =
the bitrate would be significantly lower than 256kbps while speech is =
encoded, while it would go up for the music part. However during playback =
I could not see a significant difference in foobar's (version 1.3.2 before =
you ask) display.
Is this the way things should be? The other thing that confused me is that =
foobar displays 48kHz for the sampling rate in file properties (a bug?). =
Opusinfo displays "Original sample rate: 44100Hz".

Here are the essential data of my sample:
User comments section follows...
        ENCODER=3Dopusenc from opus-tools 0.1.9
        ENCODER_OPTIONS=3D--bitrate 256 --vbr --comp 10 --ignorelength
        title=3DCD Track 04
        tracknumber=3D4
        TRACKTOTAL=3D16
Opus stream 1:
        Pre-skip: 356
        Playback gain: 0 dB
        Channels: 2
        Original sample rate: 44100Hz
        Packet duration:   20.0ms (max),   20.0ms (avg),   20.0ms (min)
        Page duration:   1000.0ms (max),  999.3ms (avg),  880.0ms (min)
        Total data length: 5392233 bytes (overhead: 0.556%)
        Playback length: 2m:41.866s
        Average bitrate: 266.5 kb/s, w/o overhead: 265 kb/s
Logical stream 1 ended

I tired 56kbps with complexity 5, and I was amazed how good it still =
sounded. Then I got mad trying 6kbps with complexity 10; well, you could =
still hear what is was all about ;-) Just one question on that last =
setting: I had the subjective feeling that volume of speech was much lower =
than for the other bitrates. I guess that's due to the cut of higher =
frequencies and the non-linearity of my ears ;-) Is that a known artefact =
and should that effect be corrected?

Just in case a foobar2000 developer reads this: I'd like to see a =
visualization with spectrum and bitrate (maybe volume (level) would be =
nice also)...

Regards,
Ulrich