[Vorbis] XiphQT / Theora Questions

Michael A. Peters mpeters at domblogger.net
Thu Nov 3 10:15:26 PDT 2011

Kyle wrote:
> I've had fairly good luck with FireFogg.
> <http://firefogg.org>
> It's a Firefox extension that does video encoding to both Ogg Theora and
> WebM free/open video formats. It should run on any recent version of
> Firefox on any OS. There may be better options for Windows, but since
> I'm exclusively a Linux user myself, I can't comment on any Windows or
> Mac applications.
> ~Kyle

I have not had any luck getting firefogg to work with patent encumbered
source files, such as h.264, probably for the same reason why I can't
provide server side transcode to theora (do not want to pay the royalties).

It does seem that there is relatively easy transcode to WebM from
QuickTime but unfortunately many currently supported enterprise Linux
distributions do not have firefox versions recent enough to handle WebM
so Theora is still needed.