[Vorbis] xiph for ipad?

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Sat Mar 26 18:56:19 PDT 2011

On 26 March 2011 02:52, Harald Dunkel <harri at afaics.de> wrote:

> Looking at xbmc playing *.ogg files on the ipad I wonder if it would be
> possible to port Xiph to ios?

As the xbmc authors mention, Apple's distribution terms don't permit
media player code. I believe VLC was briefly available in the App
Store last year, but was pulled after a few weeks.

So while it's certainly possible to build a Xiph-format player for
iOS, it can only be installed outside the built-in distribution
channel. Also, because of the way iOS works, to be much use the codecs
really need to be integrated into the native quicktime framework so
support is available in all applications; I believe that requires some
reverse engineering.

All of which might be interesting enough for someone to do out of
their own interest, but is poor motivation to do it on behalf of
others. Better to ask Apple to support Ogg and WebM directly, if
you're an iOS customer.

 -r

--
Ralph Giles