[Vorbis] oggenc -q switch vs -b switch

xiphmont at xiph.org xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon Jun 20 10:01:19 PDT 2011

> But when i specify a quality through -q, no VBR encoding enabled message

-b is equivalent to -q with a quality level chosen based on an
approximate bitrate relationship.  Both are VBR.  CBR is used only if
bitrate management is also explicitly requested.  The VBR message is
only there so that users don't freak out if -b doesn't deliver the
exact file size they'd expect from a CBR file.

> is displayed, and mediainfo http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/ also
> displays the Bit rate mode as Constant.

I would think mediainfo is simply confused. There's no such thing as
hard CBR in Vorbis (the behavior is emulated) so there's no way it
could simply look at a Vorbis file and say 'this is CBR'.

Monty