[Vorbis] Best practice for encoding short sound effects

Tor-Einar Jarnbjo tor-einar at jarnbjo.name
Mon Nov 15 13:14:31 PST 2010

Am 15.11.2010 21:08, schrieb Damian Yerrick
> So Vorbis might not be the best choice for short sounds like these.
> Would CELT be any better?  I see that it has "low delay"; Or should I
> just use, say, a 4-bit ADPCM codec like IMA, BRR, or VAG?  Or is
> concatenation in this manner the best practice?

Hi Damian,

Vorbis files have a header, which is usually a few kB in length and
hence add a significant overhead to very short files. If you keep a
separate table with sample offset and length, it is very well feasible
to merge several short samples into a longer file and encode it "en
bloc". You can even use proprietary Vorbis comments to embed this lookup
table into the single Vorbis file, keeping all data necessary for
decoding in one place.

Regards,
Tor