[Vorbis] Xiph.Org releases libao 1.0.0, libVorbis 1.3.1, and vorbis-tools 1.4.0

xiphmont at xiph.org xiphmont at xiph.org
Fri Mar 26 13:45:59 PDT 2010

> I don't see any reference to AuTuV in there.  I suppose that means the
> patches were not included in the end?  I thought the plan was to merge
> for 1.3.0.

Correct.  That was the original plan, nixed in the end to do surround
first instead.  The feeling was that RedHat wants to see Ghost
development moving forward, at least in parallel with other things,
and the surround work was more directly applicable to Ghost
development than the AoTuV merge would be.  So, the surround work came
first.

So folks know, AoTuV merges aren't just applying a set of patches and
releasing.  Even accounting for dealing with code drift, the merges
require alot of code review and understanding why particular changes
have the effect they do.  We caught several important code errors in
the AoTuV M2 merge years ago, so we have to be on the lookout for that
again. I don't mean AoTuV isn't good stable code, just that it's
essential to both do due diligence as well as learn from the
improvements.

Monty