[Vorbis] Vorbis I specification

Jindal jindal25 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 14:49:15 PDT 2010

I am little confused over what Vorbis I specification states and ogg logical
and physical bitstream overview document.(
http://xiph.org/vorbis/doc/oggstream.html)

I am quoting here the Vorbis I specification
"The Ogg/Vorbis I specication currently dictates that Ogg/Vorbis streams
use Ogg transport streams in degenerate, unmultiplexed form only. That is:

 *A meta-headerless Ogg le encapsulates the Vorbis I packets .*
*The Ogg stream may be chained, i.e., contain multiple, contigous logical
streams*
*(links).*
* The Ogg stream must be unmultiplexed (only one stream, a Vorbis audio
stream,*
*per link)*

 This is not to say that it is not currently possible to multiplex Vorbis
with other media
types into a multi-stream Ogg le. At the time this document was written,
Ogg was
becoming a popular container for low-bitrate movies consisting of DivX video
and Vorbis
audio. However, a 'Vorbis I audio le' is taken to imply Vorbis audio
existing alone within a
degenerate Ogg stream. A compliant 'Vorbis audio player' is not required to
implement Ogg
support beyond the specic support of Vorbis within a degenrate Ogg stream
(naturally,
application authors are encouraged to support full multiplexed Ogg
handling). "

Now the Vorbis I specification states only about chaining and no grouping
but ogg logical and physical bitstream overview document states about
grouping.
My best guess is that grouping is allowed recently and is something
introduced to support video multiplexing.

Please help me knowing what kinds of video formates we support within ogg
container. My best guess is theora only.

Is there possibility of Vorbis being multiplexed with other video coding
formats outside ogg container. Vorbis I specification says that @ low bit
rate audio we can multiplex with video in Divx format.

The reason why i am asking this question is because i am trying to have an
implementation with the ogg container decoding part of regular Vorbis
decoder.
To my understanding  we have only theora as the video format within ogg
format which i think is true ? Please let me know if it is not.
Otherwise we have to go in the normal way to do container and stream
decoding at different layers.

thanks,
Pankaj