[Vorbis] Error: buffer write failed.

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 15:37:34 PDT 2009

On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 4:57 PM, Harald Dunkel
<harald.dunkel at t-online.de> wrote:
> Hi folks,
> Sometimes a line like
>        ogg123 -q -d wav -f - /some/file.ogg | lame -b 128 - /some/file.mp3
> dies with an error message from ogg123
>        Error: buffer write failed.
> It is hard to reproduce, but it comes up in appr. 5% of all runs.
> Of course there is no problem with disk space. If I use mpg123 to convert a
> *.mp3 file to a lower bitrate using a similar command line, then there is
> no such problem. Using mplayer instead of ogg123 works better, too.
> Can anybody reproduce this?

A quick google search shows that other people have complained about
this issue on the Debian and Ubuntu bug trackers, it has also been
reported in https://trac.xiph.org/ticket/1521 .

Can you please try invoking ogg123 with the option --audio-buffer 0

If this resolves your problem then I think I understand the issue and
how to fix it.

Thanks!