[Vorbis] Android App?

Tor-Einar Jarnbjo tor-einar at jarnbjo.name
Sun Nov 1 12:44:23 PST 2009

Gregory Maxwell schrieb:
> I have no doubt that it's true one some, but its by no means universal.

These "internet tablets" from Nokia are unfortunately the odd ones out,
so although some mobile devices may show similar battery life, most
actually don't. The Nokia models have a programmable DSP, which is doing
both MP3 and Vorbis decoding with similar efficiency. Most mobile
devices however have a dedicated, energy efficient MP3 hardware decoder,
while Vorbis decoding is done in Software on a general purpose CPU (if
Vorbis decoding is possible at all). So, the difference is not directly
caused by the format or the format specific decoding complexity (I think
they are quite similar for MP3 and Vorbis?), but that the player
hardware is capable of decoding MP3 much more efficiently than Vorbis.

Tor