[Vorbis] Encoding multiple tiny audio files

andy andym00 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 06:31:15 PDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 2:13 PM, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Although, since you are clearly processing the audio, you should be aware that
> lossy compression may just be generally unsuitable for your application as a
> lossy compressor makes assumptions about how the audio will be heard that your
> processing may violate.

Will that really be a problem you think ? I'm not so familiar with the
Vorbis psychoacoustics but I'd say the the initial state will
something similar to as if coming from complete digital silence (or
whatever the ATH is dictating initially)  and therefore the results
would good, in fact I suspect this is where the higher bitrate comes
from because it's assuming exactly this and over-encoding (in the
context of this one isolated sound snippet).. Well this is the
experience I had with other psychoacoustic models before, especially
when the sounds are very very short and highly transient..