[Vorbis] smallest page of encoded data

Adam Langley alangley at winscribe.com
Sun Mar 15 16:37:41 PDT 2009

Hi,

I am implementing and audio recorder where I need to encode to vorbis DURING recording.
I need to allow the user to cut and paste segments of encoded audio into a new stream.
As such, I need to encode the audio in sub-second pages (the smallest allowable amount for the wave format), so that cut/paste can be implemented simply by re-arranging these encoded pages.

How can I calculate, the minimum number of PCM bytes required so that vorbis_analysis_blockout will return 1 and give me the full page in vorbis encoded form?
This will be my 'edit resolution', the smallest portion of audio that can be manipulated by any cut/copy/paste operation.

Thanks for your help

Adam Langley
Senior Developer
Tel: +64 9 486 9010