[Vorbis] Square Polar Stereo Coupling

Jesús Díaz Vico jesus.diaz.vico at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 09:36:56 PDT 2009

Hello,

I've read http://xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/doc/stereo.html and the Vorbis specs,
but I haven't got a clear concept of how does the Square Polar Mapping
works. I mean, in the "Ogg Vorbbis stereo-specific channel coupling
discussion" document, it's described how the decoupling process works for
Square Polar Mapping (and it is fairly clear explained), but it does not
describe how the coupling process works. I've found another thread of May
2003 asking the same question but it neither gives a clear answer, and
googling it I've had the same (no) success.

In short, what I'd like to know is how, having several (two for simplicity)
uncoupled channels, how does the square polar mapping does to get the
associated square polar notation?

Thanks.