[Vorbis] Reg: Bitrates support 576kbps in ogg vorbis

xiphmont at xiph.org xiphmont at xiph.org
Thu Dec 10 09:27:09 PST 2009

> I was checking for bit rates support above 500kbps in the libvorbis code, so
> I tried to encode ogg files with bitrate 576kbps but the encoder OggdropXpd
> gives maximum bit rate of only 500kbps. Does the Vorbis audio support bit
> rate 576 kbps?

Vorbis itself has no real concept of bitrate, and so it has no limits.
 Our specific encoders are not tuned for and do not offer bitrates
over 500kbps (for stereo CD-rate in any case), because that's the
point where it's becoming silly to use a lossy codec; you'd probably
be better off going with FLAC or a lossless codec.

Monty