[Vorbis] Some ideas about embeding data in ogg files...

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Wed Nov 5 12:18:54 PST 2008

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 8:48 AM, Jason Brower <encompass at gmail.com> wrote:

> My idea is to make an application that would let people manually enter
> "beat streams" that can follow along with the music.  These "beat
> streams" how ever they are processed could be used in many ways.

Sounds like a fun project.

As far as the encoding goes, there's been some work done with
embedding midi data in Ogg, multiplexed with vorbis audio. You might
look at that[1] as a place to start. If you want something fancier,
the new OSC[2] protocol is popular with electronic musicians. It would
be fun to be able to route and store that through Ogg.

Keep us posted!

 -r

[1] http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/vorbis-dev/2001-August/004501.html
[2] http://opensoundcontrol.org/