[Vorbis] Re: New Media Codec: Audio, Video & Atmosphere Lighting help

xiphmont at xiph.org xiphmont at xiph.org
Tue Mar 11 18:32:00 PDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 9:16 PM, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 8:57 PM,  <xiphmont at xiph.org> wrote:
>  > There is one additional thing to consider.
>  >
>  >  I would expect DMX or the like to be a discontinuous-time codec.
>
>  Not if it encodes the protocol directly... DMX is RS485 serial data at
>  a constant rate of 250000 bits per second.  There is something like a
>  two byte header, than up to 512 data-bytes. One for each DMX channel
>  indicating the value of that channel.   This data is repeated ~40
>  times a second.

Ah, fair point.  I was thinking of it as being event driven-- because
that's how most interfaces present controlling it.

How could I ever forget "the board loses power because Dave was using
the power supply as a footstool and all the movers time out and decide
to run self-tests in the middle of the finale."

Monty