[Vorbis] FYI: power consumption MP3 vs. Vorbis

Ulrich Windl ulrich.windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Wed Feb 27 04:09:15 PST 2008

Hi,

I'm using a Samsung YEPP 6 for some time, but I recently got surprised: It seems
that listening to Ogg (=Vorbis) empties the batteries much faster than listening
to MP3. Both files have about the same bit rate. I did not make electrical
measurements, but I think things are as they seem to be.

Did anybody make similar experience? Or maybe "required CPU cycles to decode"
statistics? It would be great if Vorbis needed less power than MP3...

Regards,U
Ulrich