[Vorbis] Bitrate peeling

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 15:07:25 PST 2008

On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 4:54 AM, Davy Van Deursen
<davy.vandeursen at ugent.be> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently started to study the Ogg Vorbis codec and found an interesting
> feature called bitrate peeling [1]. Do you know where I can find more
> information on this topic? E.g., how is the actual peeling being
> implemented, what are the performance results in terms of resulting quality,
> what are the requirements for bitrate peeling (can it be applied to any ogg
> vorbis stream), ...?
>
> Also, currently I am using the latest Ogg vorbis encoder from [2]. Are you
> aware of any support for bitrate peeling options of this encoder?

Other folks have answered the peeling question.

I'm curious: Is peeling still an interesting feature for a lossy codec
or is hybrid-lossy/lossless more interesting? (the latter also making
possible a kind of cpu-expensive perfect peel by reencoding from the
lossless)