[Vorbis] [Fwd: Re: Ogg Vorbis components and installation using Windows Installer]

Alasdair King alasdairking at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 15:30:46 PDT 2008

First, got my email muddled, so thanks - the NSIS file is perfect,
I've used that before, I can pull the installation information out of
that.

I've built an Ogg Windows Installer, which you can find here:
http://download.webbie.org.uk/OggCodecsInstaller.msi

Here is how I've done it: I'd much appreciate any corrections or
comments before I proceed:
- It checks to see if .ogg is registered to an application. If so, it
simply installs and registers the Ogg files. If not, it sets up
Windows Media Player to open .ogg (and the other media) files and
applies the fish icon.
- It installs, by default, to [ProgramFilesFolder]OggCodecs. Reading
the NSIS file it looked like this installation folder should reflect
the distributor, not any defined location.
- Copyright, support and other information is taken from the NSIS file.
- (For those who know Windows Installer) I've applied SelfReg to the
.dll files as well as including their Registry table entries.

Look okay? Do let me know! Otherwise I'll use it to build Ogg support
into my standard installer.

Best wishes,
Alasdair King
WebbIE

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 6:32 AM, Cristian Adam <cristian.adam at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Somehow my reply didn't reach this list.
>
> I've attached the conclusion.
>
> Cheers,
> Cristian.
>
>> You can find out what the installer does by looking at the NSIS script
>> here:
>> http://svn.xiph.org/trunk/oggdsf/build/NSIS/Release/oggcodecs_release.nsi
>
> Ah, that's perfect: I've used NSIS before, I can work through that. Thanks!
>
> If y'all want an MSI for Ogg Vorbis, let me know.
>
> Best wishes,
> Alasdair
>
> On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 6:53 PM, Cristian Adam <cristian.adam at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Alasdair King wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I'm a developer in Assistive Technology for blind and other disabled
>>> people. I produce and distribute some Free software called WebbIE and
>>> the Accessibility suite:
>>> http://www.webbie.org.uk
>>>
>>> Working with blind people, I'm interested in low-cost technologies
>>> using audio. Ogg Vorbis is therefore of interest to me.
>>>
>>> I'd like to install the necessary components for Ogg Vorbis support
>>> through Windows Media Player, because I use WMP through Automation and
>>> COM to provide audio services.  This installation needs to be in my
>>> main installer: my user base is best served by a single, simple
>>> installation file.
>>>
>>> I use Windows Installer (MSI files) for installation because of the
>>> need for corporate and network deployment and because I have a bunch
>>> of tools and experience in using Windows Installer. I'm not in a
>>> position to change this.
>>>
>>> So, where can I find the information I need to build Ogg Vorbis
>>> support into my Windows installer so I can make Windows Media Player
>>> play Ogg Vorbis and other media types? I can work on as little as
>>> "this file here, this registry key there" or instructions on how to
>>> disassemble the Ogg EXE installer beyond the payload of files (e.g. I
>>> need to also know where it is putting things and what it is doing with
>>> them, and any prerequisites). Apologies if this is all documented
>>> somewhere, but I've checked xiph.org and the wiki and couldn't find
>>> anything.
>>>
>>> Best wishes,
>>> Dr. Alasdair King
>>> WebbIE
>>> http://www.webbie.org.uk
>>> Skype Alasdairking
>>> alasdair at webbie.org.uk
>>>

>> You can find out what the installer does by looking at the NSIS script
>> here:
>> http://svn.xiph.org/trunk/oggdsf/build/NSIS/Release/oggcodecs_release.nsi
>>
>> You can alternatively call the installer with the /S (silent) parameter
>> and
>> it will install everything without displaying a window. At the moment
>> this works only with the SVN sources.
>>
>> The next release is due in a one week, with the /S parameter working.
>> The /S parameter also work for the uninstaller.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Cristian.
>>

> --
> Alasdair King