[Vorbis] Ogg Vorbis components and installation using Windows Installer

Cristian Adam cristian.adam at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 10:53:01 PDT 2008

Alasdair King wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm a developer in Assistive Technology for blind and other disabled
> people. I produce and distribute some Free software called WebbIE and
> the Accessibility suite:
> http://www.webbie.org.uk
>
> Working with blind people, I'm interested in low-cost technologies
> using audio. Ogg Vorbis is therefore of interest to me.
>
> I'd like to install the necessary components for Ogg Vorbis support
> through Windows Media Player, because I use WMP through Automation and
> COM to provide audio services.  This installation needs to be in my
> main installer: my user base is best served by a single, simple
> installation file.
>
> I use Windows Installer (MSI files) for installation because of the
> need for corporate and network deployment and because I have a bunch
> of tools and experience in using Windows Installer. I'm not in a
> position to change this.
>
> So, where can I find the information I need to build Ogg Vorbis
> support into my Windows installer so I can make Windows Media Player
> play Ogg Vorbis and other media types? I can work on as little as
> "this file here, this registry key there" or instructions on how to
> disassemble the Ogg EXE installer beyond the payload of files (e.g. I
> need to also know where it is putting things and what it is doing with
> them, and any prerequisites). Apologies if this is all documented
> somewhere, but I've checked xiph.org and the wiki and couldn't find
> anything.
>
> Best wishes,
> Dr. Alasdair King
> WebbIE
> http://www.webbie.org.uk
> Skype Alasdairking
> alasdair at webbie.org.uk

You can find out what the installer does by looking at the NSIS script here:
http://svn.xiph.org/trunk/oggdsf/build/NSIS/Release/oggcodecs_release.nsi

You can alternatively call the installer with the /S (silent) parameter and
it will install everything without displaying a window. At the moment
this works only with the SVN sources.

The next release is due in a one week, with the /S parameter working.
The /S parameter also work for the uninstaller.

Cheers,
Cristian.