[Vorbis] Ogg Vorbis components and installation using Windows Installer

Alasdair King alasdairking at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 07:00:08 PDT 2008

Hello all,

I'm a developer in Assistive Technology for blind and other disabled
people. I produce and distribute some Free software called WebbIE and
the Accessibility suite:
http://www.webbie.org.uk

Working with blind people, I'm interested in low-cost technologies
using audio. Ogg Vorbis is therefore of interest to me.

I'd like to install the necessary components for Ogg Vorbis support
through Windows Media Player, because I use WMP through Automation and
COM to provide audio services.  This installation needs to be in my
main installer: my user base is best served by a single, simple
installation file.

I use Windows Installer (MSI files) for installation because of the
need for corporate and network deployment and because I have a bunch
of tools and experience in using Windows Installer. I'm not in a
position to change this.

So, where can I find the information I need to build Ogg Vorbis
support into my Windows installer so I can make Windows Media Player
play Ogg Vorbis and other media types? I can work on as little as
"this file here, this registry key there" or instructions on how to
disassemble the Ogg EXE installer beyond the payload of files (e.g. I
need to also know where it is putting things and what it is doing with
them, and any prerequisites). Apologies if this is all documented
somewhere, but I've checked xiph.org and the wiki and couldn't find
anything.

Best wishes,
Dr. Alasdair King
WebbIE