[Vorbis] MT9 Capabilities

Daniel Schregenberger daniel at despite.ch
Wed Aug 20 07:13:53 PDT 2008

Hello,

I think this is a nice idea, but I doubt it is of any use to the mass and
therefore not of big interest to the music industry, which (Britney Spears
and Co prove it) focuses on the mass and only on the mass.

My considerations include:
 a) Mixing is a very, very hard thing to do (I'm speaking from experience)
and costs lots of time. I believe most users won't be satisfied by their
own results and therefore ignore it. Or just lack the time to do it.
 b) I wonder how this can handle things like guitars changing the position
(left, right, middle for stereo). traditional mixing allows this and is
probably used in an almost unnoticable amount (unnoticable in the full
mix that is), but as said: mixing is rocket science.
 c) Remember the <many> possible viewing angles a DVD allows? I don't know
a single movie using it (yes, I don't own porn DVDs).
 d) Similar to Tor I don't think an industry trying to stop DRM-free
digital distribution will support a technology enabling mixing etc.
 e) ...

cheers!
Daniel