[Vorbis] Tremor + upstream libogg

Timur Elzhov elzhov at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 05:04:36 PDT 2008

Hi vorbis experts!

I'd like ot write application under Symbian that use theora as video
codec & tremor as an audio one. I played at first with libogg &
theora on PC, then successfully ported them both. Next I decided
to port Tremor but I found that it use its own files from Ogg library.
The API is almost identical, so I tried to bind the Tremor with upstream
Ogg library (it actually consist of bitwise.c & framing.c), with a few
changes. I had no luck, the decoder_example.c from Vorbis packege
is built successfully, but didn't decode something properly, I got nothing
but noise (being linked with native vorbis lib it decodes perfectly).

I started to walk inside Ogg sources as well as its Tremor version, and found
that they use quite different version of data structures, oggpack_buffer for
instance. For another example, oggpack_readinit uses argument of `struct
ogg_reference' type, which lacks in upstream library at all. So I guess that
the functions despite from their identical name do not do identical things.

So the problem is: I need to use in my application the code from three
libraries: Ogg, Theora and Tremor. Theora relies on upstream Ogg, Tremor
is based on its own Ogg, and that Ogg's are seem to be imcompatible.

Finally, 2 question:

1) did anybody try to adjust Tremor for binding it with upstream?
2) *why* it once was decided to leave Tremor with frozen Ogg code?

Much tthanks in advance.

Greetings,
Timur