[Vorbis] oggenc size limit?

Robert Buchholz rbu at gentoo.org
Tue Sep 18 17:06:52 PDT 2007

On Wednesday, 19. September 2007, Andrew Strong wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I am trying to encode a 2.1gig .wav file using oggenc with the
> following error message:
>
> andrew at ilium:~/Desktop$ oggenc -q 6 merge.wav -o test.ogg
> ERROR: Cannot open input file "merge.wav": File too large
>
> I have compiled oggenc from source:
>
> andrew at ilium:~/Desktop$ oggenc -version
> OggEnc v1.0.2
>
> I am hoping that this not a limitation of oggenc, rather that I have
> done something a little silly during compile :-) Any thoughts?

This is fixed in the svn trunk of vorbis-tools [1] as per xiph bug 879
[2]. Unfortunately, vorbis-tools hasn't seen a release for more than
two years now and so this change is not included in your copy.

In case your distribution ships a copy of vorbis-tools, please try that
one as it might include Large File Support. I know Gentoo as well as
Debian ship LFS-enabled versions of oggenc.

Thanks,

Robert

[1] https://trac.xiph.org/browser/trunk/vorbis-tools
[2] https://trac.xiph.org/ticket/879