[Vorbis] off: Audio CD's and Microsoft

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 00:33:03 PDT 2007

Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> On 9/16/07, Rick <cms0009 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Good for you, but not for allot of us, anything add to the encoded audio
>> recording...in is IN its "signal path", will degrade the audio quality.
>> (DRM) for example.
> [...]
>
> You realize that you are writing about this on the mailing list for a
> perceptual audio codec which, in its common use case, throws out
> 9/10ths of the raw audio data? ...

> But while we're here, I do want to say that I don't have too much
> sympathy for the anti-watermarking crowd. The loud argument I see over
> and over again is "OMG QUALITY!" without any objective data to back
> those arguments up...  To uniquely identify a listener with a
> comfortable amount of redundancy, what do they need 64bits? 96bits?
> ... and the goal is to robustly smuggle that into many megabytes of
> compressed audio?  That sounds 'easy enough' that I think the burden
> of proof should be on the people who claim that it hurts quality.

I'm not sure why you feel the burden of proof lies with the
people saying that modifying the signal is going to affect
audio quality.  That seems like a perfectly reasonable
starting hypothesis.  In addition MS is the company that
gave us 64kbps 'CD' quality WMA; their QA department appears
to own a rather tinny pair of laptop speakers.  The problem
is also harder than fitting 96 bits into many megabytes:
you must be able to get the watermark from a shorter clip.
That said it is probably possible to achieve and most people
do not listen to music in ideal conditions anyway.

> The rest of the opposition to the use of watermarking to mark
> commercial audio downloads really seem to reduce to "Oh shit, if I
> break the law I might get caught" ... Or in other words, your real
> problem is with copyright law and not with the watermarking.
>
> People demanded freedom from DRM which turned their own devices
> against them. Fine. So the industry starts using watermarking. You
> should be happy, oppressive DRM is gone.  It seems to me that people
> are not happy about this turn of events because they never really
> cared about avoiding devices which were defective by design, never
> much cared about their freedom to do legal things... but were really
> only worried about their ability to get away with making illicit
> copies.

Personally I don't like DRM for the first set of reasons,
they were designed to undermine the ways people traditionally
used music and to try to screw a bit more money out of customers
by making it possible to force them to pay over and over again
for something they previously would have bought once.  I agree
though that many people who talk about privacy are concerned
about their privacy in breaking the law.

--
imalone