[Vorbis] off: Audio CD's and Microsoft

Rick cms0009 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 11:16:13 PDT 2007

On Sunday 16 September 2007 6:33:35 am Daniil V. Kolpakov wrote:
> В сообщении от 15 сентября 2007 xiphmont at xiph.org написал(a):
> > Also, steganographic watermarking exists in many other copied media
> > already.  Eg, there's a decipherable signature buried in many (most?)
> > photocopies, etc...  How is watermarked music inherently more evil?
>
> Wouldn't it degrade sound quality?

Yes,.. it would unless they hirer hard of hearing people to do
the demo.

here is a snip from the article:
The trick for these watermarks to be effective for digital music files,
however, is that they must be inaudible and thus undetectable by those
listening to the files, which has been difficult for those who have tried to
create this technology in the past, Halderman said.
Indeed, in their filing, Kirovski and Malvar acknowledged that to work
properly, the watermarks must not only be inaudible, but also "must be
scattered throughout the file in such a way that they cannot be identified
and manipulated" and "be robust enough so that it can withstand normal
changes to the file, such as reductions from... compression algorithms."
---end of snip

As you can see its a TRICK... now you see it and now you don't..pls.
ANY Encoding that is recording into the audio signal, will degrade
the audio play back of the original "Audio Recorded Music"
I heard enough artifacts with cd's as it is...with my Stax Headphones.
and with home Audio Setup...

Any Microsoft, knows there losing marketing share to Open Source..and Linux
and so, they have to come up with ways, of staying around..like we need them
or something... its all about $$$$ and not about you at all.

Regards -
Richard