[Vorbis] Unused entries in code book

Tuomo Latto djv at iki.fi
Tue Nov 6 09:29:47 PST 2007

Vamsi Mohan Reddy Pulagam wrote:
> I am trying to understand the building of Huffman codes from the code
> lengths. In the Tremor code first I see that the codewords are being
> generated by the function _make_words() and then sorted.
>
> After this I see some magic code and something related to unused
> entries. Does the code generate code words for unused entries too? Are
> these unused entry code words used during the decode process? If these
> are used why do we call them unused entries?

I think the Huffman codes used by Vorbis encoders are essentially
a predetermined set, instead of the optimal ones that you usually create
by using the statistics of the whole data.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

--
Tuomo

... > It certainly is still a made-up word.
    Unlike all the English words that are found in nature.
        -- http://thedailywtf.com/Comments/Brevity_Is_Important.aspx?pg=2